All hail and welcome!

All hail and welcome! Well, that was a a nice, traditional witchy sort of thing to say, except I am not a traditional witch. I don't claim to have the answers. I ramble, I hesitate, I have my uncertainties ... OMG, I am actually normal.

Doomed, definitely doomed!

Friday, 17 December 2010

The Last Day and a Seasonal Party

So, today was The Last Day. One thing you have to love about the weather is that, with the slightest hint of a problem, particularly on a Friday, and the roads empty. Great for me, trundling down the M25 to my now former office, to offload the detritus of three years on an unsuspecting Field Services department. A mere hour and a half from Seventrees Central, albeit a four hour trip back, but 'tis OK, seeing as it will be the Last Time.

Apart from the shock on the faces of Field Services on the appearance of three porters and two large trolleys along with my manager and me, it was The Process that made the day special. Now, I am leaving because I have been made redundant. The surprise on manager's face at my prompt arrival, bearing in mind I had sent him a text with my ETA, really set the tone. Then there was The Form. 'Employee Termination' or something along those lines. Give back ID card, which doubles as a cashless catering card. Ummm, who is going to give me back the £8.47 on the card? Manager does good impression of stranded fish. I took pity on him and offered to spend it in the staff shop. Phone handed back, credit card followed, then all the tech. Whoops, forgot the projector, so courier collection for that one. I really wanted him to insist on going through all my returned files, but I guess he might have believed I would leave a mousetrap in the box or something. As if ...

But the best bit was his insistence on accompanying me out of the building, to my car, so he could take possession of my car park permit. Clearly he thinks that I am planning something nefarious with that one (because I am so sore about being made redundant). Then the embarrassed 'see you then', and I am off, finally. Free of The Big Pharma Company. Should I have shed a tear, considering I have been working in Big Pharma for nearly 13 years? Nah! My ethics can only take so much from two-faced individuals, so the change is welcome indeed. Of course, I wouldn't tell them that.

Didn't enjoy four hours on the way home, not when it took 1.5 hours in, but the journey was not helped by a brief, but exiting moment of snow-related chaos on the M25. Made it home by 4.30pm, and just in time to start planning The Party. 'Tis the season to be jolly and all that. I have no idea how many people are coming round, but if all else fails, I am sure that the DH and the DS will enjoy eating party food for the next week. I know that Big Doggie and Little Doggie will. This was the reason for my mad bake-fest earlier in the week: Anzac cookies, banana and date loaf, banana nut chocolate brownies, cranberry oat cookies, and spice biscuits. So to close, here's how one of those items is put together: Mix them in the order listed, divide into lined 1lb tins and bake at 150 degrees C until an inserted skewer comes clean. Once cooled, this one can be wrapped in cling film and frozen until needed.

BANANA AND DATE LOAF
4oz butter
5oz soft brown sugar
2 eggs, beaten
3 overripe mashed bananas
10oz plain flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tbsp ground mixed spice
100g chopped dates
100g walnut pieces

I'll let you know the highlights of The Party next time.

1 comment:

  1. great start joanne. well written - think i'll enjoy reading this! love you. annelise xx

    ReplyDelete